Class Email Lists
- Class Mailing Lists are email addresses that will send mail to all students of a Class/Programme_Year that meet the "Current Student" criteria.
- The email addresses of City Campus Class Mailing Lists are all in the following format: maillist-<programmeCode>-<year>@mytudublin.ie (eg: maillist-TU123email@example.com)
Who can send mails to Class Mailing Lists?
- All City Campus staff email accounts have permission to send to the above mailing lists and the members of each list can also mail the list they are in.
- Additionally, some Department Mailboxes, for example Careers or Exams have been given permission to send emails to class lists too.
- And lastly, the members of each class mailing list can send to their own class mailing list but not others. This is so students can use their own Class Mailing List for collaborative mailshots.
- External addresses cannot send mails directly to Class Mailing Lists (SPAM risk!)
How are Students added to Class Mailing Lists?
- The criteria for each mailing list currently is that the students are listed as being RE (Registered) or EL (Eligible to Register) and have the particular programme-code and year in their student account.
- Student accounts in Office 365 are updated overnight based on data from the student registrations database Banner. Any changes to student Registration Status or Program code will only be reflected in Office 365 the following day.
Who is in each Class Mailing List?
- Office 365 Class Mailing Lists are currently Dynamic Distribution Groups based on the attributes of Student Accounts in Office 365.
- Namely, the Programme, Year and Registration Status (RE and EL) attributes of student accounts listed in a nightly Banner report.
- These Dynamic Distribution Groups have no members but when an email is sent to the Mailing List address, the message will be delivered to any student mailboxes that match the above criteria at the time the message is sent.
DT to TU phasing out of course codes
- TU programme codes are being phased in (e.g. in 2021/22 new CAO first year students will be listed in TU program codes and returning instream students will still be listed as being in DT codes).
Progression of students from one year to the next.
- In September, student classes are progressed from one year to the next after exam boards. This is a complicated process and does not happen immediately for all students after exam boards and may take time.
- As above, any changes to Banner records will be updated in Active Directory, Brightspace and Office 365 overnight and their respective mailing lists will then auto populate.
- Please check the Tutor Class Lists to check which students have been progressed.
What to do if students are not receiving mails sent to a Class Mailing List:
- Please confirm that the students in question are listed in the Tutor Class List.
- You can use the Tutor Class List application to view all students (name, student number and photo) for a given class.
- Note: You must be on the TU Dublin network to access Tutor Class Lists (on campus or using a remote secure connection - VPN)
For login/account issues on Tutor Class Lists please contact your local Examinations Office.
- If the students are not listed, please confirm with the students that they are registered and/or have been progressed into the correct year.
- If the students are listed in the Tutor Class List but still not receiving the mail, please notify the IT Service Desk firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll diagnose the issue further.
If you are using the Outlook Web App, the City Campus course codes mail lists should auto-complete as you type the address:
If you are using Microsoft Outlook Client, then the mailing lists are available in the Global Address Lists (address book):
Do you still have questions about Class Email Lists?
- Don't worry you can contact us with your questions via email@example.com