Welcome to Bitesized Brightspace Resources - your guide to the key Brightspace functions
- Each resource is designed to be worked through independently but many are also offered as live online workshops. See the Training calendar for dates.
- Recommended pathway - Brightspace 1, 2, 2A and 3 should be taken in that order. Thereafter it is up to you which resource/workshop you access.
- Click on any of the headings to get more details on each resource.
NOTE: If you wish to share a link to any of the guides below with your students or TU Dublin colleagues, please right-click on the filename and choose 'copy link address'. Opening the doc and copying the url from the address bar will not provide you with a link that your students or colleagues will be able to access.
The TU Dublin VLE checklist is a set of 'good practice' recommendations for the design and management of modules in TU Dublin's virtual learning environments (VLEs). VLE Baseline Plus builds on the Baseline checklist to guide the further development of modules in ways that encourage student engagement and enhance the learning experience.
- making sure your students can see the assignment / quiz,
- key settings in your quiz,
- key settings in your assignment,
- how to set Special Access, and more.
Brightspace is the virtual learning environment (VLE) in use at the Grangegorman, Aungier St., and Bolton St. Campuses. The Brightspace 1: The Basics resource provides an overview of what Brightspace can be used for; how to login; how to navigate Brightspace, how to get access to the modules you need. After working your way through this resource you will have an understanding of what you need to do to use Brightspace to support your teaching.
Brightspace is the virtual learning environment (VLE) in use at the Grangegorman, Aungier St., and Bolton St. Campuses. This resource will show you how to structure your module and add content. After implementing the knowledge in this resource you will have a module which you can start using with your students.
There are a number of steps to making your module available to students: you need to make the module active and (usually) you need to enable self-enrol using the Discover tool. This resource talks you through the process and also shows you how to add additional lecturers, and to remove both lecturers and students. It also shows you how to view the classlist, which shows everyone who is enrolled on your module.
This resource shows you how to setup your very first virtual classroom (webinar) session in Bongo, the virtual classroom tool integrated into the Brightspace VLE at TU Dublin, City Campus. After working through this resource you will be able to run a virtual classroom session with registered students, and also with participants external to TU Dublin who do not have a Brightspace login. You will also know how to record your session and add a link to that recording to your Brightspace module. Bongo can also be used to pre-record lectures, without an audience, for later asynchronous delivery to students.
LINK TO BRIGHTSPACE 3:
- Using Bongo to host virtual classroom sessions (webinars) (printable guide)
- Bongo Virtual Classroom (video guide)
- Creating Teams meetings in Brightspace (printable guide)
- Creating Teams meetings in Brightspace (video guide)
Bongo video assignments are innovative, video-based assessment tools that lecturers can use to evaluate individual and peer learning.
This resource provides information on each of the communication tools available to you from within Brightspace. After working your way through this resource you will understand how to add each tool to your module and the advantages of one tool over the other for communicating with your students online.
This resource provides guidance on setting up and using the Brightspace gradebook. After working your way through this resource you will have the knowledge necessary to establish your gradebook and map it to your assessments.
This resource provides an overview of the Brightspace Assignment tool including: how to create an Assignment; how to set restrictions for an Assignment; how to add an Assignment to content; how to attach a grade item or a rubric to an Assignment; how to assess and Assignment and provide feedback. After working your way through this resource you will have an understanding of how to use the Assignments tool to support assessment and feedback processes within your module.
This resource introduces the Brightspace Quiz tool.
This resource provides an overview of the Brightspace Group tools including: how to create a group work area for students; how to set up a group Assignment; how to set up group discussion fora; how to set restrictions for a group Assignment.
The Bongo group project tool facilitates student collaboration and group work, students can share files, set milestones, arrange online meetings and more.
This resource provides guidance on viewing and understanding Brightspace data. After working your way through this resource you will have the knowledge necessary to monitor class progress, use the module overview widget, understand various module level reports and track student engagement.
Presented below are links to a number of very useful videos and guides which have been produced at TU Dublin, and which detail important aspects of how Brightspace is used at this University.
The following short videos have been designed to help you get started with Brightspace. They should be used in conjunction with training or the appropriate Bitesized Brightspace resources
- Video 1 - Getting Started: How to log in, understand the Brightspace home page, locate your migrated content and the modules you will be using this year, get help
- Video 2 - Navigating your Brightspace module
- Video 3 - Build your Module: Import content from a previous year's module
- Video 4 - Build your module from scratch: How to add new content and learning activities
- Video 5 - video removed - no longer required
- Video 6 - How to make your module available to students
- Video 7 - How to manage your classlist: Add and remove students, lecturers and unenrol yourself
- Video 8 - Bongo Virtual Classroom - practical instructions for using the webinar tool in Brightspace
- Video 9 - Bongo Group Project Tools
- Video 10- Creating Teams Meetings in Brightspace
Frequently used guides to Brightspace tools
The following short guides to some Brightspace tools have been prepared especially for TU Dublin. Links to these guides have also been embedded within the Bitesized Brightspace guides. If you need help with any of the tools or functionality within Brightspace remember that 24/7 chat support is available via the Help/Brightspace Help Desk Support link after you log in to your module.
- Guide - Using Urkund/Ouriginal Plagiarism Checker
- Guide - Using Brightspace Virtual Classroom (Bongo)
- Guide - Using Rubrics in Brightspace
- Guide - Setting up your Brightspace Gradebook and linking a sample assignment
- Guide - Using Intelligent Agents in Brightspace
- Guide - Setting up Groups in Brightspace
- Guide - Importing selected components from one module to another
Guides to other Tools
- Guide - Screencast-O-Matic how to access your TU Dublin Screencast-O-Matic account and use this simple screen recording software