The WLHE Network was established in 2016 to empower and enable women in all roles (management, academic, technical and administrative) in TU Dublin and to encourage time for reflection on their personal and professional development and career advancement and enhancement.
This network aims to be inclusive of women in academic, administration, research and technical roles at all levels and stages across TU Dublin.
To date the Network has held events in the thematic areas of
- Professional Enrichment, Career Advancement and Promotion Keynote speakers: Mary Kennedy (RTE) & Prof Sarah Moore (UL)
- Developing your Professional Supportive Network Keynote speakers: Teresa Mannion (RTE) & Prof Celine Marmion (RCSI)
- Being ready for Opportunities Keynote speaker: Dr Anita Sands (Global Business Leader, Speaker, Author)
- Leadership in Higher Education: Where are the Women? Guest speaker: Mary Mitchell O'Connor, TD. Panel: Prof Jane Grimson (TCD), Prof Celine Marmion (RCSI), Dr Ashley O'Donoghue (DIT)
- Transformation - The Power of You Keynote speakers: Norah Casey (Presenter, Author, Publisher) & Dr Jacinta Kelly (CEO, National Children's Research Centre).
- Concious Leadership - Focus on the 'We' and not the 'Me' (online) Keynote speakers: Hazel Chu (Lord Mayor of Dublin) & Elizabeth Canavan (Assistant General Secretary at the Department of An Taoiseach)
- Making the Leap - Challenging the Status Quo (online) Keynote Speakers: Mairead McGuinness (EU Commissioner) & Prof Maggie Cusack (President of Munster Technological University)
Our event speakers have shared their experience and personal journey to date including lessons learned and challenges along the way; their career launching platform (education/personal and professional supportive networks/mentors); how they made themselves ready to take opportunities and what influenced these choices; the values and beliefs they hold; how they maintain a healthy work/life balance.
More recently the WLHE Network launched a series of ‘Come for Coffee’ events which aim to bring members of the WLHE Network across the TU Dublin together to network with colleagues and to share experiences. At the first Come for Coffee event the WLHE Network welcomed Professor Yvonne Galligan, TU Dublin Director of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion. The atmosphere of this informal networking event was captured by the Public Affairs Team.
At our WLHE Network 'Come for Coffee' event to mark International Women’s Day 2019, Dr. Claire Gubbins from DCU discussed the power of networks and strategic relationships to realise this power. While our 'Come for Coffee' event in December 2019 welcomed the President, Prof David FitzPatrick, and provided an opportunity for staff to meet with him informally.
We moved to a virtual format for our Nov 2020 'Connect for Coffee' event, at which Tracy Gunn, founder of Being at Your Best, explored our experiences with Covid-19 and provide us with tools for supporting ourselves, our families, colleagues and students.
The 'Connect for Coffee' event marking International Women's Day in 2021 focussed on the theme of Choosing to Celebrate the Small Wins and welcomed over 100 participants on the day.
You can join the WLHE LinkedIn group to hear about our events and other items of interest.