The CPD Diploma in NZEB Design Tools programme is open to the following categories of applicants:
- Registered Architects.
- Professionally qualified architects who are or have been members of the RIAI, subject to interview.
- Registered Architectural Technologists.
- Professionally qualified Architectural Technologists, subject to requirements.
- Registered Building Surveyors.
- Chartered Engineers.
- Professionally qualified Engineers, subject to a minimum 2.2 Level 8 qualification plus 2 years minimum relevant accredited professional experience, or equivalent.
- Other technical design professionals subject to a minimum 2.2 Level 8 qualification plus 2 years minimum relevant accredited professional experience, or equivalent.
While the National Standards Authority of Ireland (NSAI) now provides a process of thermal modelling registration for practitioners who have acquired skills through practice, this programmes is focussed on providing an educational learning experience to enable up-skilling of those without experience in the process.
The programme is recognised by NSAI and leads to exemption from Part 2 of the registration process, with a related reduced fee.
The programme is comprises three modules, all delivered in blended online mode supported by workshops every eight weeks.
The CPD Diploma in Thermal Bridge assessment is delivered through a series of three 5 ECTS blended online modules as follows:
- ENEN9106 Thermal Bridge Calculation for Building Performance
- ENEN9107 Thermal Bridge Assessment Fundamentals
- ENEN9108 Thermal Bridge Assessment 3D and Project
The need for qualified Thermal Bridge Modellers arises from the requirement for increased performance of buildings under the Part L of the Building Regulations.
Thermal bridge modelling is a complex process which demands an understanding of applied building physics principles and an ability to use a variety of inter-related calculation software applications to measure performance in two- and three-dimensional assemblies. Its correct use is central to energy-efficient & healthy sustainable building design and to achieving long term performance of new build and retrofit building solutions
The DT775b CPD Diploma in Thermal Bridge Assessment is a 2 semester part-time multi-disciplinary upskilling programme for architects, engineers, building surveyors and architectural technologists.
The programme is set at Level 9 in the National Framework of Qualifications and aims to provide graduates of building design and construction related programmes with an educational setting in which to develop skills in thermal bridge assessment and an ability to apply principles to construction detailing.
The programme content is focused on thermal bridge modelling which requires an understanding of various thermal performance predictive computer applications. Industry based building designs will be used as the basis for project work to give realistic context for collaborative and multi-disciplinary work.
On successful completion of the CPD Dip TBA programme the student will be able to:
- Apply an understanding of the mathematical calculations underpinning and used by thermal bridge analytical software applications to critique related computer output data.
- Apply the requirements of the codes and standards relating to linear and point thermal bridging, temperature factor determination, and calculation of the Y-factor for a whole building.
- Use a 2D and 3D thermal bridge analytical software application and validate its suitability to thermal bridging analysis in accordance with the examples from ISO 10211 Appendix A.
- Apply analytical software applications to the assessment and resolution of thermal bridging problems.
- Carry out a comprehensive analysis of thermal bridge performance in an existing domestic building through a combination of individual and group project work.
- Determine areas of weak performance and develop design solutions to minimise heat flow and optimise surface temperatures at junctions through a combination of individual and group project work.
- Prepare a technical performance report for the purpose of demonstrating compliance with Building Regulations.
The programme comprises three modules each of which can be completed over an 8-week period.