Course Title: Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Building Engineering
|Sign up for an Information Pack|
This discipline of study is accessed via the first year general entry TU805 Engineering course OR through advanced entry to 3rd year via the Level 7 Building Engineering course (TU703) or through a level 7 mechanical engineering course.
Mature applicants (23+) are welcome. Further details at www.tudublin.ie/mature
If English is not your first language you will need to provide evidence of your English language proficiency as detailed on our website. Applicants for this course should have a minimum IELTS (Academic Version) English Proficiency of 6 overall (or equivalent) with nothing less than 6 in each component.
View Other Videos
- Building Engineering course choice has paid off for David Keller
- TU Dublin Building Engineering - Lecturers & Students explain why this course is now in high demand
- TU Dublin Engineering & Built Environment courses get you into the real world!
Building engineers are at the heart of the building design process. They design, develop, install and implement the mechanical and electrical systems that ensure our buildings are safe, sustainable, comfortable, efficient and effective.
Our graduates’ impact and value lies at the leading edge-convergence of creative design vision and making it work through engineering and construction technology.
- engineering mathematics
- fluid mechanics
- engineering economics & management
- engineering computing
- electro-mechanical engineering
- drawing & design
- manufacturing automation
- renewable energy technologies
- water services
- heating systems
- air conditioning & ventilation
- electrical power systems
- building heat transfer and simulation
- computer modelling & simulation
- project management
In all years of the course, there is a strong emphasis on low-energy solutions.
There’s a huge range of career opportunities, in four key areas (see below).
The course is accredited by Engineers Ireland. You can work anywhere in the world without a need for further qualification.
On graduation, you may proceed to postgraduate studies leading to the award of MSc, MPhil or PhD at research institutes and universities worldwide.
Study Abroad Opportunities
Students have an option to spend one semester in Year 3 at Hoschschule Munchen (University of Applied Sciences in Munich) under the Erasmus course.
We work with 20 industry partners to secure informal work placement over the summer for our students, both in Ireland and abroad
This course is accredited by Engineers Ireland and is recognised internationally.
This course has 100% employment rates (even in recessionary times). It is closely aligned with over 20 industry partners who recruit directly from the course, including Varmings,OCSC, ARUP, Jones Engineering Group, AXIS Engineering, Dornan Group, Daikin, Homan and O’Brien, Wilo, Ethos Engineering, OPW, Cundall and Partners, JV Tierney’s, SIRUS, Kirby Group, McElroy and Associates, Designer Group, EICL Industrial Chillers, Heat Merchants, Quinn Downes, Tritech, Temec, Murphy Belton, McGrattan.
Tech companies such as Google and Facebook have their own in-house Building Engineering teams.
Graduate Job Titles:
Building Services Engineer
Mechanical and Electrical (M&E) Engineer
Architectural Engineer (US)
Fire Services Engineer
Technical Sales Engineer
HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air conditioning) Engineer
- Engineering Mathematics
- Fluid Mechanics
- Energy & Building Systems Engineering
- Engineering Economics & Management
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Engineering Materials
- Engineering Computing
- Electro Mechanical Engineering
- Engineering Drawing & Design
- Manufacturing Automation
- Developing & Renewable Energy Technologies
- Lighting and Acoustics
- Water Services Engineering
- Heating Systems Engineering
- Heating and Water Services Design Project
- Air Conditioning & Ventilation
- Air Conditioning & Ventilation Design Project
- Electrical Power Systems
- Building Heat Transfer and Simulation
- Applied Fluid Mechanics
- Mathematics & Engineering Computation
Computer Modelling & Simulation
- Engineering Project Management
- Air Conditioning Engineering
- Fire Engineering
- HVAC and Building Control Engineering
- Energy & Buildings
- Specialist Industrial Services
- Major Design Project (20 credits)
In all years of the course there is a strong emphasis on low energy solutions.
Building Engineering at TU Dublin gives students a set of skills which makes them sought after around the world and gives them the ability to work in a huge number of fields and roles which are challenging, interesting, enjoyable and well paid.
Highly regarded within the industry, as a graduate that was initially hired without the need for an interview due to my completion of the course, I feel it couldn’t stand to me anymore that it has.
A number of students from my year are on six-figure salaries, working all over the world, in pharmaceutical, oil and gas, data-centre technology and other leading industries.
On graduation, you may proceed to postgraduate studies leading to the award of MSc, MPhil or PhD at research institutes and universities worldwide. Completion of a recognised masters course is necessary to gain chartered engineering status with Engineers Ireland