Course Title: Bachelor of Science in Design, Technology & Innovation
2022 CAO Points: 223
Leaving Certificate Requirements:
Minimum Number of
Minimum Grade in
English OR Irish
QQI/FET Award Required
|Any full Level 5 or 6 award||
Must include a Pass in one of the following:
Further details at www.tudublin.ie/qqi
Applications from mature students (23+) are welcome. Further details at www.tudublin.ie/mature
English Language Requirements:
If English is not your first language you will need to provide evidence of your English language proficiency as detailed on our website.
This course offers a truly unique learning experience and opens up the path to an exciting career in technology design. You’ll come to understand the design process from concept through to market, and study business as well as design and technology modules. You can tailor your own journey, with three specialist stream options in Year 3: Wearable Technologies, Smart Systems or Entrepreneurship.
Our students are creative and have a strong interest in design, using technology. You don’t need prior technical skills but should have an interest in technology and how it can be applied creatively in the design process.
Your learning will be project-based, with learning blocks throughout Years 1 and 2 in Design Methodologies, Maker Technologies, Digital Fabrication and Project Design. You’ll have access to ideation spaces, technical labs and prototyping hubs to develop ideas and create designs. This includes access to 3D printing, laser cutting and CNC machining. You’ll have opportunities throughout for industry collaboration and feedback, with learning based on real-world scenarios.
You’ll gain deep project design experience throughout the course, which offers an opportunity for industry placement either locally or through one of our international partner institutes.
A HIGH spec is recommended (i.e. able to run Win 10, Be able to use Wi-fi and camera to attend online classes, design packages such as Solid Works etc. should be able to use Wi-fi and camera to attend online classes. Needs high RAM, larger SSD, Graphics acceleration, etc.). MS Windows 10 based laptops are recommended. Apple (OSX) are not suitable due to software package installation requirements.
Please search for the TU Dublin offer on the HEA website www.heanet.ie/store
Our graduates work in a rage of roles including:
- Design Technology
- Technology Innovation
- Creative Concept Design
- Digital Fabrication Technologies
- Wearable Technologies
- Smart Systems
- Technology Development
- Technology Project Management
- Principles of Electronics and Digital Systems
- UX Design
- Science, Technology and Society
- Maker Studio
- Web Technologies and Databases
- Software Design and Introduction to Python
- Digital Fabrication Portfolio
- Algebra, Geometry and Calculus
- Microcontrollers and Embedded Technology
- Information Systems and Applications
- Design Thinking and Ideation Portfolio
- Matrices and Differential Equations
- Mechanical Design
- Materials Science and Sustainable Design
- Creative Product Design Project
- Applications of Wireless Communications
- Sensor Technology
- Object-Oriented Analyses and Design
- Production and the Market
- Statistics and Probability
- Design Experience
- Sales and Digital Marketing
- Research Methods and Technical Writing
- Biosignals and Systems
- Tools for Machine Learning
- Enterprise and Operation
You must select one elective.
On successful completion, you’ll be eligible for the final year of TU812 Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Design, Technology and Innovation.