Programme Title: Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Design, Technology & Innovation
2021 CAO Points: 278
This new and innovative programme, developed by a team of engineers, designers, entrepreneurs and business leaders, offers a truly unique learning experience and opens up the path to an exciting career in technology design. You’ll come to understand the design process from concept through to market, and study business as well as design and technology modules. You don’t need prior technical skills but should have an interest in technology and how it can be applied creatively in the design process.
You’ll gain hands-on experience of managing, designing, prototyping and testing new technology systems and products. Your learning will be project-based, with learning blocks in design methodologies, maker technologies, digital fabrication & project design. You can tailor your own journey, with three specialist stream options: Wearable Technologies, Smart Systems or Entrepreneurship.
You’ll have access to ideation spaces, technical labs and prototyping hubs to develop ideas and create designs, with access to 3D printing, laser cutting and CNC machining. You’ll have opportunities throughout for industry collaboration and feedback, with learning based on real-world scenarios.
Work Placement: You’ll gain deep project design experience throughout the programme, which offers an opportunity for industry placement either locally or through one of our international partner institutes.
A HIGH spec is recommended (i.e. able to run Win 10, Be able to use Wi-fi and camera to attend online classes, design packages such as Solid Works etc. should be able to use Wi-fi and camera to attend online classes. Needs high RAM, larger SSD, Graphics acceleration, etc.). MS Windows 10 based laptops are recommended. Apple (OSX) are not suitable due to software package installation requirements.
Please search for the TU Dublin offer on the HEA website www.heanet.ie/store
Our graduates work in a rage of roles including:
- Design Technology
- Technology Innovation
- Creative Concept Design
- Digital Fabrication Technologies
- Wearable Technologies
- Smart Systems
- Technology Development
- Technology Project Management
- Principles of Electronics and Digital Systems
- UX Design
- Science Technology and Society
- Maker Studio
- Web Technologies and Databases
- Software Design and Introduction to Python
- Digital Fabrication Portfolio
- Algebra, Geometry and Calculus
- Microcontrollers and Embedded Technology
- Information Systems and Applications
- Design Thinking and Ideation Portfolio
- Matrices and Differential Equations
- Mechanical Design
- Materials Science and Sustainable Design
- Creative Product Design Project
- Applications of Wireless Communications
- Sensor Technology
- Object-Oriented Analyses and Design
- Production and the Market
- Statistics and Probability
- Design Experience
- Sales and Digital Marketing
- Research Methods and Technical Writing
- Biosignals and Systems
- Tools for Machine Learning
- Enterprise and Operations
You must select one elective.
- Technology Project Management
- Cloud Computing
- Capstone Design Project 1
- Capstone Design Project 2
- Business Innovation and the Law
- Wearable Devices
- Internet of Things Technologies
- Supply Chain Management
- Smart Technologies
- New Venture Finance
The electives listed are indicative since they depend on learner demand and resource availability, and may vary from year to year.
On graduation you may continue to postgraduate study at TU Dublin or elsewhere.