Business modelling is an activity that facilitates the abstraction of a company’s goals, activities, resources and rules. This module describes the various activities involved in business modelling using UML as the underlying modelling language and shows how business models can be used to facilitate business improvement, innovation and identify the requirements for new support systems. The aim of this module is to give students the knowledge and skills involved in business modelling and to expose students to the use of an object-oriented CASE tool and to Agile development methodologies.
- Business model analysis
- Software Development Life Cycle
- Agile development
- UML modelling
- Requirements engineering
- Process identification and improvement
- Modelling business needs
- Systems analysis and design
Business Model Analysis
Business model analysis, process identification and improvement, modelling business needs, systems analysis.
Introduction to Software Engineering and the Software Development Life Cycle. Software process models such as the waterfall model, incremental models, prototyping and evolutionary models.
UML - Unified Modeling Language
Visual modelling with UML use-case diagrams, class diagrams, activity daigrams, sequence and state diagrams.
Agile Project Management
Agile methodologies with a focus on the Agile SCRUM framework, sprint planning, roles and responsibilities, and use of JIRA in SCRUM planning.
On completion of this module, the learner will be able to :
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of business models and how they can be used as a basis to the analysis and design process
- Critically evaluate techniques for establishing the requirements of a system
- Articulate business goals through using models
- Produce business models using UML notation
- Work as part of a team applying iterative or sequential development methodology to plan, design and develop a business application.
- Apply business patterns to reuse solutions to common business modelling problems
- Use an OO based CASE tool
|Module Content & Assessment