The aim of the module is to introduce students to the common manufacturing processes in the Bio/Pharmaceutical industries and also to develop an awareness of the types of environmental monitoring typically carried out both on- and off-site in relation of Bio/Pharmaceutical manufacturing. The students will develop an appreciation as to how the various modules within their programme align to the common careers within the Bio/Pharmaceutical industry. Students will learn through practical case-studies in the form of master-classes from industry and academic experts using contextualised and real-life examples and scenarios.
Introduction to Manufacturing
- Introduction to a typical Bio/Pharmaceutical manufacturing process flow; Discovery, Development, Validation, Manufacture, Quality.
- Introduction to common Unit Operations in Bio/Pharmaceutical; including an introduction to scale,
- Troubleshooting, common production issues and investigations.
- Introduction to Quality control in the Bio/Pharmaceutical industry: Raw materials to Product.
- Introduction to Quality Assurance in the Bio/Pharmaceutical industry: Introduction to Lean
- Manufacturing and 6Sigma.
- Career paths in the Bio/Pharmaceutical industry: from Graduate to CAO.
- Introduction to Health, Safety and Risks in Bio/Pharmaceutical manufacture
Introduction to Environmental Monitoring
- Introduction to legislation, environmental impact and need for monitoring
- Introduction to air pollution and monitoring in Bio/Pharmaceutical manufacture
- Introduction to noise pollution and monitoring in Bio/Pharmaceutical manufacture
- Introduction to water pollution and monitoring in Bio/Pharmaceutical manufacture
- Introduction to bio and Chemical waste control and monitoring in Bio/Pharmaceutical manufacture
- Introduction to sustainable manufacture informed by environmental considerations
Student centred weekly case-study based lectures and workshops, facilitated by academic staff and industry experts.
|Module Content & Assessment