This module provides essential knowledge of the principles and practices of the major unit operations applied in food processing and preservation in order to assure food safety and quality.
It targets students at the initial development stage of a food science career so to develop knowledge and understanding of the range of processing technologies typically applied by the food industry that are essential to build upon in subsequent stages in food science related modules .
- Principles of good manufacturing practices
- Concept of unit operations
- Food preservation and processing by heat technologies
- Food preservation by cold technologies
- Food preservation by moisture reduction technologies
- Food preservation by irradiation technologies
- Food packaging
- Whiteboard and power point
- Problem- based group work activities
- Virtual learning environment supported by webcourses, including discussion boards.
- Multimedia sources including YouTube and Podcasts.
|Module Content & Assessment