Data Subject Rights Request
Rights of Access
Under Data Protection legislation, individuals have rights to ensure that Technological University Dublin complies with the provisions of the Data Protection Acts regarding the rights of the data subjects to requests for rectification, erasure or restriction of the processing of their personal data when required.
How to make a Subject Rights Request
If you wish to make a request in relation to:-
- Rectification of Personal Data – Article 16
- Erasure of Personal Data /Right to be Forgotten – Article 17
- Restriction on Processing of your Personal Data – Article 18
- For right to Data Portability – Article 20
- Objection to Marketing – Article 21
then please make a request in writing, by email or using the TU Dublin Subject Rights Request Form, to:
The Data Protection Office
TU Dublin, Park House, 191 North Circular Road, Grangegorman, Dublin D07 EWV4
It is important to include the following information in your request:
- Your full name
- Your contact details
- If you are a student, your student ID number
- If you are a previous student or member of staff, details of when you attended the University and what you studied or the department in which you worked
- A full description of the personal data to which you are referring
- Please note we may have to get back to you to seek further clarification if we do not have enough detail to enable us to find the information you are seeking
- The University may ask for evidence of your identity. Current staff and students are advised to submit their requests from their official TU Dublin email address.
Is there a fee?
There is no fee applicable to making a Subject Rights Request, unless the request is considered manifestly unfounded or excessive.
When should a response be issued?
In most cases we will respond to your request within one month as per the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). Where requests are particularly complex or involve a large number of records, this time limit may be extended by a further two months but we will inform you if this is the case and explain the reasons for the delay.
Right of Appeal
If the University fails to comply with a valid Subject Rights Request, the requester has the right to make a complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner. The Commissioner will investigate the matter and has wide powers to ensure the University complies with the provisions of the Data Protection Acts.
Complaints should be made in writing, including email, to the Data Protection Commissioner at:
The Office of the Data Protection Commissioner
21 Fitzwilliam Square South
Tel: +353 57 868 4800 or +353 761 104 800
The website of the Data Protection Commissioner at www.dataprotection.ie is an excellent source of information. They can also provide information by phone or email.