Course Title: Bachelor of Technology in Networking Technologies
2021 CAO Points 249
Minimum Number of
Minimum Grade in
English OR Irish
Applications from QQI Level 5 & 6 are welcome. Further details at www.tudublin.ie/qqi
Mature applicants (23+) are welcome. Further details at www.tudublin.ie/mature
If English is not your first language you will need to provide evidence of your English language proficiency as detailed on our website. Applicants for this course should have a minimum IELTS (Academic Version) English Proficiency of 6 overall (or equivalent) with nothing less than 6 in each component.
Networking Technology is about designing and building computer networks and involves the physical installation and commissioning of networks and connection to the Internet. As a student, you will acquire the technical skills and knowledge necessary for a career in IT and computer networking.
You will acquire a grounding in computer networking technologies, electronics, communications and web development, together with a knowledge of business operations and project management. This course has an emphasis on continuous assessment, and you’ll learn by doing and working with hands-on applications rather than entirely from theory.
You’ll learn how to diagnose, repair and maintain computer and network hardware and system software, how to support all peripheral equipment that connects to computer networks, and gain experience in controlling external devices using computers. The course
incorporates modules from Cisco Systems. Cisco is the leading networking company, and you will have the opportunity to acquire a Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) qualification.
Software is also an integral part of all networks, so you will be able to install and maintain a wide range of network and system software, including operating systems, such as Windows and Linux. You will gain valuable skills in network security, and web design and services.
An industry-standard education, coupled with a work placement in Year 3, will complement your academic learning and ensure that on graduation, you can immediately apply your skills.
An industry-standard education, coupled with a work placement, in Year 3 will complement your academic learning and ensure that on graduation, you can immediately apply your skills.
The course is structured to permit exit after successful completion of Year 2 with a Higher Certificate.
- IT Companies
- State and Semi-state bodies
- Communication Equipment Providers
- Communication Service Providers
- Telecommunication companies
- Network Security Firms
- Network Solution companies
- Start-ups / SMEs
- Energy Technology and Software Development
- Education/Training Bodies
- Computer Gaming Companies
- Medical – diagnostic and monitoring equipment
- Industrial and Public Sectors:
- Retail Units
- Sports and Leisure Centres
- Community Centres
- Food and Agri
- Local Authorities
- Third level Institutions
- Small and Medium Enterprises
- Defence Forces
- Petrochemical industries
- Energy Utilities
- Suppliers and Providers
- State Utilities
- Gas/Electrical Suppliers
- Independent Power Producers
- Energy Service
- Local authorities
- Renewable Energy Developers
- State Utilties Agents and Distributors
- Original Equipment Manufacturers
- Government Agencies/Voluntary/NGOs/Professional Associations
- Local and national government
- Out –sourced service companies
- US Multinationals: e.g.: Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, Intel, IBM, PayPal, etc.
- Internet of Things 101 & 102
- Computer Hardware & Security 1
- Web Development 1
- Information Literacy Project
- Linux Essentials
- Business Management 1
- Applied Data Networking
- Introduction to Networks (CCNA1)
- Microcontrollers and Electronics 1 & 2
- Switching and Routing Essentials (CCNA2)
- Problem Solving with C
- Business Management 2 - Sustainable Business
- Operating Systems 1
- Data Analysis and Databases
- Microcontrollers and Electronics 2
- Server Side Web Development
- Work Placement Preparation
- Fundamentals of Wireless Technologies (CCNA Wireless)
- Enterprise Networking, Security, and Automation (CCNA3)
- Python Programming for Networks
- Project Management
- Multimedia Voice and Video Networking
- Internet of Things 301
- Programming for Networked Systems
- Network Management
- CCNA Security
- Work Placement
- Team Assignment
I am currently studying my final year in BTech in Networking Technologies. After three years, I feel I am now equipped with valuable skills which I have learned in my labs and lectures and through my project work. The CISCO qualification is an additional industry recognised qualification with this course and as this sector is thriving at the moment, I look forward to starting my future career in this area.
On graduation, you can progress through to Honours Degree courses within TU Dublin.
This includes progression into the 1 year add-on TU819 Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Networking Applications & Services.