A-Level GCSE Applicants
We welcome students who have completed their GCSE or A Level exams.
|Grade||First 3 A-Levels||AS Levels|
(& 4th A-level where presented)
Applicants are scored on the basis of a maximum of four different subject results at A and/or AS level. For scoring purposes, the following combination of A Levels and AS Levels are permitted:† Extended Project is now accepted and scored as AS. It is possible to attain an A* in this.
†† Applies to A-level only.
- The best 4 A Level results in a single sitting.
- The best 3 A Level results in a single sitting, plus the best AS Level result from the previous or the same sitting.
- The best 2 A Level subject results in a single sitting, plus the best 2 results at AS Level from the previous or the same sitting.
- The best 1 A Level subject result in a single sitting, plus the best 3 results at AS Level from the previous or the same sitting.
- The best 4 AS Level subject results in a single sitting.
Important information for all GCE applicants
- Evidence of GCSE examinations must be supplied in order to meet minimum entry requirements.
- AS Levels must be in different subjects to those taken at A Level.
- When sending documents, certified photocopies of certificates/statements of results produced by an examining board must be supplied to CAO well in advance of Round One offers. School transcripts are not accepted.
- Applicants must also advise CAO of any previous AS and A Level awards and provide certified photocopies of certificates/statements of results produced by an examining board to support their application.
- CAO advises GCE applicants to discuss their AS Level certification process with their school. AS Level results are frequently cashed in along with A2 Level results in the final year. As a result, candidates often will not have evidence of their AS Level results until the release of their A2 Level results in August. In this instance, CAO will expect to receive electronic notification of the AS Level results provided that the applicant has supplied their correct Board, Centre number and Candidate number for all subjects that will be cashed in in August.
- If a school cashes in AS Level results in the same year as A Level results, applicants must enter the remaining AS Level subject carried forward on their CAO application. Applicants must use the space provided for ‘Examinations to be taken’ in the Qualifications & Assessments section.
- CAO must be informed if the candidate sat any AS or A2 Level examinations at a different school.
Important information regarding Brexit and EU fees
Eligible UK students who enrol on eligible courses for the 2021/22 academic year in a third-level institution recognised for the purposes of free fees will be able to avail of the Department’s Free Fees Schemes. All UK students availing of the free fee contribution for 2021/22 will be entitled to this funding for the duration of their course.
The position for future years will be reviewed in advance of the 2022/23 academic year.