What programmes require a portfolio to be submitted?
- TU975 (Interior Design)
- TU973 (Design – Visual Communication)
- TU974 (Fine Art)
- TU795 (Visual Merchandising & Display)
- TU832 (Architecture)
Note: TU976 Photography is no longer a restricted course and there is no portfolio requirement
The portfolio is used to review the applicant’s potential to benefit from and contribute to the programme(s) chosen with regard to the following evaluation criteria. The decision of the review panels will be final.
- Evidence of Drawing ability should be demonstrated through:
- Examples of freehand, observation and/or technical drawing
- Use of colour and texture
- Variety of subject and media
- Evidence of Practical ability should be demonstrated through:
- Skills in visualisation (3D and 2D)
- Quality of presentation
- Control over media
- Evidence of Conceptual ability should be demonstrated through:
- Idea generation
- Imagination and creativity
Applicants applying TU832 Architecture will be required to sit a Suitability Test AND Interview with Portfolio as part of the admissions process.
Applicants to the TU832 Bachelor of Architecture course do not need to submit their portfolio in advance. The portfolio will be presented as part of the online interview process. See further guidance at the link below.
Requirements and closing dates for TU832 differ to those for our Creative Arts courses, full details are available at: https://www.tudublin.ie/study/undergraduate/cao/entry-requirements/auditions-interviews/
How to submit a portfolio for School of Art and Design programmes (TU795, TU973, TU974, TU975)
Closing Date Submission of Portfolio: Monday, 11th March 2024 by 5pm
- Applicants may only submit a portfolio once in an academic year.
- You can amend and edit your online application. Note - once you select “submit” applications cannot be amended.
- Make sure to use the same email address you use for your CAO application when creating your account. Once you create an online account, you will be asked for the following:
- CAO number
- Personal statement (optional)
- Selection of your work (up to 25 pieces) ready to attach to your online application
Additional information is available in the following document TU Dublin School of Art & Design Portfolio FAQs 2024. Information on the application process can be found by visiting the TU Dublin School of Art and Design webpage. If you have any issues with your online application, contact email@example.com.
Portfolio Submission and Information Webinar – Thursday, 8th February 2024, 6pm – 7pm
The TU Dublin School of Art and Design held a Portfolio Submission and Information Webinar for CAO applicants to our programmes in Visual Merchandising and Display (TU795), Visual Communication Design (TU973), Fine Art (TU974) and Interior Design (TU975). The online session took place on Thursday, 8th February from 6pm to 7pm. - View recording
Maximum & Minimum Scores
|Minimum Score to be achieved
Mature or international candidates who are short-listed may also be interviewed. Applicants with an equivalent qualification or significant appropriate experience will also be considered and interviewed. The decision of the review panels will be final.