Every year when CAO offers are made, some students decide that, while they are happy with their offer, they don’t want to take up the course immediately and wish to apply for a Deferral. Deferral is not guaranteed and the university deals with requests on a case-by-case basis. This page contains information on the deferral process for 1st year entry, following an offer from the CAO.
Applying for a Deferral
- In order to avail of the facility, an applicant must have been offered a place through CAO.
- Do not accept the CAO offer in the manner shown on the offer notice. Instead, complete CAO Deferral Request form that will be available online after Round A offers in July 2023. The online form must be received by the admissions office at least two days before the “reply date” shown on the CAO offer notice.
- This deferral process is for one year only.
- Applicants who request a deferral in order to take up another third level place in the CAO system will not be granted deferred entry.
- Deferrals are at the discretion of the university.
Taking up your Deferred Place
If you successfully deferred your course and wish to take up your place, you will need to:
- Make an application to the CAO for the deferred course by the 1st of February the following year.
- You will need to list your deferred course as your first and only choice.
- Applicants who do not follow the above instructions will have their deferred place automatically cancelled.
- You must confirm your intent to take up your deferred place with our Admissions Office by providing your new 2023 CAO number on this form.
- Aungier Street: email@example.com
- Blanchardstown: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bolton Street: email@example.com
- Grangegorman: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tallaght: email@example.com