CAO Year 1 Deferral
Every year when CAO offers are made, some students decide that, while they are happy with their offer, they don’t want to take up the course immediately and wish to apply for a Deferral. This page contains information on the deferral process for 1st year entry, following an offer from the CAO.
Applying for a Deferral
- In order to avail of the facility, an applicant must have been offered a place through CAO.
- Do not accept the CAO offer in the manner shown on the offer notice. Instead, complete the following online CAO Deferral Request:
- The online form must be received by the admissions office before the “reply date” shown on the CAO offer notice.
- This deferral is for one year only.
- Applicants who request a deferral in order to take up another third level place in the CAO system will not be granted deferred entry.
- Deferrals are at the discretion of the university.
Taking up your Deferred Place
If you successfully deferred your course and wish to take up your place, you will need to:
- Make an application to the CAO for the deferred course by the 1st of February the following year.
- You will need to list your deferred course as your first and only choice.
- Applicants who do not follow the above instructions will have their deferred place automatically cancelled.
- TU Dublin will request you to confirm your intent to take up your deferred place by providing your 2024 CAO number early next year.
- Admissions Office: firstname.lastname@example.org - Please include your CAO number on all emails.