Whatever your reason for coming back to education – to update your skills, gain a new qualification, achieve a personal goal or ambition, etc – TU Dublin welcomes all mature students.
What age do I need to be?
To be classified as a mature student, you must be 23 years of age or older on or before 1 January in the year you’re applying. You must also be an Irish / EU citizen.
You make your application for admission to the first year of any undergraduate full-time course through the Central Applications Office (CAO).
Submitting your Application
While you’ll apply to the CAO, some of the questions you’ll be asked will differ from those asked of students applying directly after Leaving Certificate. Specifically, you’ll be asked about:
- Details of your schooling
- Any further education you may have completed*
- If you are currently studying, details of these studies *
- Information about your work and life experience
- A personal statement about how these relate to your application
* If you have any documents you think will support your application (transcripts, certificates, etc.), you should send these by post, clearly marked with your application number, directly to the CAO. These documents will be scanned and added to your online application. Our Admissions Team will be able to access and assess them.
To be guarenteed an assessment, CAO applications must be made before 1st February (also applies for applications to all restricted programmes).
The late application closing date is 1st May.
For full details on how to apply to the CAO as a mature student, go to the CAO website.
Late applications will be accepted on behalf of TU Dublin through the CAO up to 1st May. But please note that places are limited and there is no guarantee that late applications will be considered, especially for our more popular courses.
Late applications will not be accepted for restricted programmes where candidates are expected to attend a suitability test or an audition, or submit a portfolio.
Assessment for Suitability
Our Admissions Team will assess your application, considering all aspects of your prior learning and work experience. Selection is based on your CAO application, including all supporting documentation as part of your application. You may be required to sit a suitability test and/or an interview to secure a place. This mainly applies to mature student applicants who do not wish to compete on the basis of a Leaving Certificate or QQI Level 5/6 Award.
We focus on the following when assessing applicants:
- Evidence that the applicant has researched the courses applied for
- Preparation for higher education (recent courses/study)
- Any relevant experience or training
- Awareness of the demands of full-time higher education (workload, finances, impact on personal and social circumstances, etc.)
- Career goals