Quickly create surveys, questionnaires, and more.
Microsoft Forms enables you to quickly and easily create basic surveys, questionnaires, and more. View results as they are submitted via built-in analytics, and export data to Excel for additional analysis. It is available to all staff, students and researchers via the University's subscription to Office 365.
Microsoft Forms has many applications within both learning & teaching and administration. Examples include:
- Quizzes which show respondents the correct choices once they submit their answers
- Simple surveys and questionnaires
- Feedback forms
- Registrations and events signup sheets
You can share surveys and quizzes created in MS Forms with anyone, including people outside of the University.
MS Forms also integrates with Excel and OneDrive so that you can see results appear in an Excel spreadsheet in real-time.
Why use Microsoft Forms?
MS Forms offers a simple tool for quick surveys and quizzes.
As it comes as part of your University subscription to Office 365, Microsoft Forms it is a better choice for your University surveys than tools such as Google Forms or Survey Monkey because:
- MS Forms integrates with the University's Active Directory system and can therefore capture the details of respondents with a University log-in, e.g. a sign-up sheet for a staff workshop will automatically record the user ID of the person who signs up.
- The University cannot guarantee that external survey tools like Google Forms comply with data protection regulations, nor can we guarantee the availability of data on external sites
Your data protection responsibilities when using Microsoft Forms:
If you are collecting personal data or sensitive data (see the GDPR Common Terms and Definitions) you must ensure that the processing is compliant with Data Protection legislation. Failure to do so could lead to significant fines or institutional risk.
In summary you must ensure that:
- You inform the respondents why you are collecting the data, how you will store it, who will have access and for how long it will be kept
- You respect data subject rights of access, rectification and removal, and inform data subjects how to exercise that right
- You present a Privacy notice to the user. Staff and Student Privacy Notices can be found here
- You must also ensure that the data is kept secure, with permissions set to include only those who need it, that the information is kept up to date and deleted when no longer required.
- You must accept responsibility for safeguarding the data in accordance with the information above.
More about your responsibilities when collecting personal data can be found here: Data Protection Information
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Sample Form have been created to show how you must inform the user and gain consent if needed. You may use the forms and duplicate them to use for your own needs.
How to use Microsoft Forms
See Microsoft's Create a form with Microsoft forms for information on how to get started. This page includes instructions on the first 2 methods for starting a form mentioned above.
The short Microsoft Forms First Look course on LinkedIn Learning also takes you through the basic steps to create your first survey or quiz using the Forms app within your Office 365 online account (Forms on the web).
Guides by Microsoft
- Frequently asked questions
- Get Started
- What is Microsoft Forms?
- How to share a form?
- Delete the form and any personal data you may have downloaded?
Training available via the IT Training Service and LinkedIn Learning
- IT Training live webinar schedule
- LinkedIn Learning login page (please contact Staff Development (email@example.com if you have not already registered for an account)
- Recommended course: Microsoft Forms Essential Training by Curt Frye