Course Title: Higher Certificate in Process Instrumentation & Automation
Minimum Number of
Minimum Grade in
Eng OR Irish
QQI: Applications from QQI Level 5 and 6 are welcome. Further details at www.tudublin.ie/qqi
Mature applicants (23+) are welcome. Further details at www.tudublin.ie/mature
All applicants must attend an aptitude test (date TBC). Applicants who achieve the required score (at least 42 marks out of 100) in this aptitude test will subsequently be invited to attend an interview (date TBC). Applicants called for interview must achieve at least 50 marks out of 100 for their interview. Following the interview process, each applicant’s total score must be equal to or greater than 110 marks out of 200. This total score given will be added to Leaving Certificate points (if applicable).
Late and change of mind applications are accepted, and all late applicants will go through the same screening process as outlined above.
You will also need to;
- (a) Submit evidence that you have successfully passed the Ishihara Colour Vision Text 24 Plate Edition
- (b) Submit a CV
- (c) Submit two written references
- (d) Complete an aptitude test
- (e) Interview with the course team
TU Dublin’s Learn+Work course is a professional traineeship course providing a pipeline of skilled in-demand work-ready talent into STEM industries through industry partnership.
- Learn+Work courses blend the strength of a university education with an apprenticeship-style work placement.
- This course is designed specifically to create work-ready university graduates in the shortest possible time-frame.
- Each year Learn+Work students spend 5 months in fulltime study and then 7 months on placement with a company 4 days per week, returning to university 1 day per week during term time.
- Students are paid while on placement.
- As a result this is an intensive course, that runs 12 months each year, instead of the standard 9 months, so students do not get the traditional summer break while on this course, but they are entitled to annual leave days on a pro-rata basis while on work placement.
What is…Process instrumentation and Automation?
- Process instrumentation is a branch of Engineering that deals with various types of instruments used in the measurement, recording and control of physical parameters such as pressure, temperature, flow rates and pH among many others.
- This course will help you develop the knowledge and skills you need to avail of the numerous job opportunities in the highly automated manufacturing and process industries.
- You’ll enjoy a mix of theory and practical learning, including sessions in our laboratories equipped with real-world equipment and software used in industry.
Work Placement: Our industry partners hire and mentor our Learn+Work students 7 months each year so that they have the relevant experience, skills and competencies required to work full-time in the industry and high-tech companies after graduation.
Industry partners where our students are on work placement:
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- CalX Instrumentation Services Ltd
- EMR Integrated Solutions
- Hanley Calibration
- Hanley Technology
- Lagan Cement
- McL Automation
- West Pharmaceutical Services
MEDIUM spec computer required (minimum) (i.e. able to run Win 10, an AV solution and Office comfortably. Be able to use Wi-fi and camera to attend online classes). MS Windows 10 based laptops are recommended.
Roles such as Instrumentation Technician, Calibration Technician, Maintenance Technician working in industries such as:
- Food and Drinks Processing
- Power Generation
- Oil and Gas Processing
Year 1 Semester 1
- Algebra, Geometry and Calculus
- Introduction to Instrumentation
- Electro-Technology 1
- Workshop Practices & CAD
Year 1 Semester 2
- Industrial Services
- Work-based Learning Stage 1
Year 2 Semester 1
- Calculus and Statistics
- Electro-Technology 2
- Process Instrumentation 1
- Electrical Power & Machines
Year 2 Semester 2
- Programmable Logic Controllers
- Work-based Learning Stage 2
What our students say
“This is a really interesting course, my work placement is based in bio-pharma, but my classmates are based in all different industries, so the possibilities are endless. This course is such a great way to get working while learning as well, because you get into the industry straight away, get paid, and get your experience built up, which is fantastic. I highly recommend the course, my experience so far has been nothing short of brilliant.” – Ruth Murphy, Year 2
What our industry partners say
“We have access to graduates who come with a high level of industry experience from day one. Through their three-year placement with us, they’re already embedded in the culture of our organisation, understand how we work and what it’s like to work in a challenging environment.” – Derek Glynn, COO, EMR Integrated Solutions