The European Health Insurance Card entitles the holder and dependents accompanying him or her to all health services available to residents of the EEA Member State where he or she is staying under the General Public Medical Scheme. The card covers a person who stays in a member state to study there for a defined period of time – this is usually up to the “country of stay”. The study or training must be an integral part of a course leading to a qualification officially recognised by the authorities of the Member State.

It must be remembered though that The European Health Insurance Card may not cover the full cost of medical or hospital expenses in EEA countries and it does not cover ambulance costs or air transport to Ireland if necessary or funeral expenses. You would be advised to take out private health Insurance for such matters, e.g. VHI offer a package for Erasmus students studying abroad.

E.U. Students/Erasmus, who are currently registered with TU Dublin Tallaght, are entitled to free medical consultation (for acute illness and injuries) and prescriptions in Ireland on presentation of a valid European Health Card. You will need to have applied to your country of origin for The European Health Insurance Card beforehand, if not please do so ASAP.

This entitlement is only valid for a period of 1 year while you are on Erasmus. If you continue to stay in the country you will need to apply for Medical Card status.

Non EU Students: All other foreign Nationals other than EU students have no medical card entitlements here. It is recommended that you have adequate medical insurance on arrival. You are however welcome to attend the College Dr. at the student rate in the Health Centre.

If you require further information on any of the above please contact the HSE info line on 1850 24 1850 or