Course Title: BSc in Decontamination Management
If you are under 23 years old on 1 January in the year you're applying you must have achieved Grade D3 in five Leaving Certificate subjects, including Mathematics and English or Irish or a FETAC Level 5 qualification or equivalent unless otherwise stated. That is 5 subjects: O6/H7, English or Irish: O6/H7 and Mathematics: O6/H7, or better to apply for year one of this course.
Mature students (23 years of age or older on or before 1 January in the year you’re applying) are eligible. Applicants will already be employed in the RIMD decontamination units in hospitals. Applicants must have competence in written and spoken English. Generally, it is expected that the applicants will be working in hospitals or related sectors
This course is for anyone working in the health, hospital and related sectors.
The major aims of this course is to produce qualified and knowledgeable sterile service practitioners in a range of scientific, technological and quality activities in the health, hospital and related sectors.
The students will study a range of scientific technological and quality activities and services for health, hospital and related sectors.
- Critical Skills Development
- Introduction to Mathematics
- Principles of Biology 1
- Practical Skills -Microbiology
- Principles of Human Anatomy
- Information Technology
- Introduction to Medical Devices in use in Healthcare
- Principles of Physics
- Principles of Chemistry
- Workplace Safety
- Biodecontamination I -Labs RIMDs
- Biodecontamination 1 RIMDs
- Intro to Quality Systems
- Validation of Sterilization Processes
- Low Temperature Sterilisation
- Biodecontamination II -Endoscopes
- Biodecontamination 2-Endoscope labs
- Primary Healthcare -Instrument Decontamination
- Practical skills -Primary Care
- Principles of Law
- Ultra-sound probe decontamination
- Employment Law
- Quality Management Systems & Quality Improvement
- Organisational Behaviour
- Supply Chain Management for Hospital Decontamination
- Facility Design Utilities & Waste Management
- Management of Infectious Agents
- Student Project
- Validation Management
One full day a fortnight. Some modules may be delivered in blended mode a combination of class contact and distance learning. This course runs over three academic years.
Applications now open - Apply Now