2020 CAO Points: 276
There’s growing demand for graduates with a mix of hardware and software skills, needed for the expanding world of mobile systems and the Internet of Things, from sensors and electronic devices to app development and networks, and all the technology in between.
The use of mobile systems and the Internet as part of ICT has played a major part in the growth and transformation of technology-enabled devices such as specialised sensors and medical devices that sustain life, environmental monitoring, businesses, real-time and secure social interaction platforms.
Subjects covered include everything from Digital Electronics and Microprocessor Fundamentals to Computer-Aided Design, Web Technologies and Databases, Software Design, Computer Architecture, and Wireless and Mobile Networks. In Year 4, you’ll study more advanced subjects such as Linear Systems and Optimisation and Internet of Things Technologies. This programme will develop your competencies in basic electronics and microprocessors; embedding computers into products, and developing software drivers to make them work. Close links with companies such as Intel, IBM and Cisco increase the career opportunities of graduates of this course.
You’ll spend 50% of the course time doing hands-on practical assignments, tutorials and project work in well-resourced, state-of-the-art laboratories and workshops.
Work Placement: You’ll have the opportunity to gain work experience through an industry placement at the end of Year 3, lasting 8-10 weeks.
Postgraduate Study: On graduation, you may continue to postgraduate study at TU Dublin or elsewhere.
A HIGH spec computer is recommended (i.e. able to run Win 10, Linux virtual machines, VLSI design packages etc. comfortably, should be able to use Wi-fi and camera to attend online classes, needs high RAM, larger SSD,). MS Windows 10 based laptops are recommended.
Please search for the TU Dublin offer on the HEA website www.heanet.ie/store
- Software Engineers
- Embedded Systems Designers and Programmers
- Mobile Systems Development
- Mobile Applications Development
- Internet of Things System Development
- Electronic Manufacture Support
- Algebra and Geometry
- Professional Development for Engineers
- Digital Electronics
- Engineering Science
- Circuit Theory
- Workshop Practice 1
- Fundamentals of Calculus
- Analogue Electronics
- Programming 1
- Electrical Science
- Introduction to Electronic Communications
- Workshop Practice 2
- Microprocessor Fundamentals
- Programming 2
- Electronic Computer-Aided Design
- Interfacing Electronics
- Computer Networks
- Linear Algebra and Calculus
- Microcontroller Applications
- Digital Logic
- Web Technologies and Databases
- Object-Oriented Programming
- Statistics and Probability
- Signals and Transforms
- Physics of Semiconductor Devices
- Software Design and Quality
- Digital Communications
- Software for Real-Time and Embedded Systems
- Project (Part 1)
- Signals and Systems Analysis
- Computer Architecture and Computer Systems
- Java and Algorithms
- Wireless and Mobile Networks
- Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
- Project (Part 2)
- Project (Part 1)
- Linear Systems and Optimisation
- VLSI Circuit Design
- Mobile Application Development
- Wireless Communication Systems
- Industrial Placement*
*Special regulation: Industrial Placement CNG4 H4023 is assessed through 100% CA and is included in the GPA calculation.
- Management Information Systems
- Project (Part 2)
- Mobile Internetworking
- Internet of Things Technologies
- VLSI Systems Design
- Applications of Digital Signal Processing
* Industrial Placement will run over an 8-10 week period in the summer after Year 3 of Study. Students who do not go on Industrial Placement will take the 2 Electives namely, CNG4 H4019 ‘ Management Information Systems’ and CNG4 H4013 ‘ Applications of Digital Signal Processing’.
Since I was a child I have always been fascinated by computers and electronics. This course turned out to be just right for me – combining elements that satisfy both my hobbies and my career.
- Justas Bartnykas, Computer Engineering