2020 CAO Points: 410*
*includes minimum score of 110 for interview and aptitude test
Minimum Grade in
Eng OR Irish
QQI: Applications from QQI Level 5 and 6 are welcome. Further details at www.tudublin.ie/qqi
Mature applicants (23+) are welcome. Further details at www.tudublin.ie/mature
All applicants must attend an aptitude test (date TBC). Applicants who achieve the required score (at least 50 marks out of 100) in this aptitude test will subsequently be invited to attend an interview (date TBC). Applicants called for interview must achieve at least 50 marks out of 100 for their interview. Following the interview process, each applicant’s total score must be equal to or greater than 120 marks out of 200. This total score given will be added to Leaving Certificate points (if applicable).
Late and change of mind applications are accepted, and all late applicants will go through the same screening process as outlined above.
You will also need to;
- (a) Submit a CV
- (b) Submit two written references
- (c) Complete an aptitude test
- (d) Interview with the course team
TU Dublin’s Learn+Work programme is a professional traineeship programme providing a pipeline of skilled in-demand work-ready talent into STEM industries through industry partnership.
- Learn+Work courses blend the strength of a university education with an apprenticeship-style work placement. This course is designed specifically to create work-ready university graduates in the shortest possible time-frame.
- Each year Learn+Work students spend 5 months in fulltime study and then 7 months on placement with a company 4 days per week, returning to university 1 day per week during term time.
- Students are paid while on placement.
- As a result this is an intensive course, that runs 12 months each year, instead of the standard 9 months, so students do not get the traditional summer break while on this course, but they are entitled to annual leave days on a pro-rata basis while on work placement.
This Learn+Work course is designed for trainee network technicians and engineers, and was developed in response to the industry’s growing need for people who can design, install, and maintain computer systems. This course will help you develop the knowledge and skills you need to avail of the numerous job opportunities in the ICT and Networking field.
You’ll enjoy a mix of theory and practical learning, including sessions in our laboratories equipped with real-world equipment and software used in industry.
Work Placement: Our industry partners hire and mentor our Learn+Work students 7 months each year so that they have the relevant experience, skills and competencies required to work full-time in the industry and high-tech companies after graduation.
Industry partners where our students are on work placement:
- Liberty IT
- Macro Evolution Services
- MJ Flood
Professional Accreditation: You can also avail of the opportunity to gain Industry Certified Awards, including;
- Cisco Certified Networking Associate (CCNA)
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Security+
- Linux Professional Institute (LPIC-1)
- Microsoft Certified Systems Expert Server Infrastructure (MCSE)
- VMWare Certified Associate – Cloud (VCA-Cloud)
IT Requirements: A MEDIUM spec (i.e. able to run Win 10, an AV solution and Office comfortably. Be able to use Wi-fi and camera to attend online classes, use other software such as SPSS, Adobe Connect, Minitab, Maple, so needs more RAM, SSD, etc.)
Please search for the TU Dublin offer on the HEA website www.heanet.ie/store
Network Technician working in industries such as:
- Data Centres
- Cloud-Based Disciplines
- Cyber Security
- Computer Systems Infrastructure
- Business Communications
- Routing & Switching Essentials
- Systems Administration
Semester 2 & Summer
- Applied Learning in the Workplace (Work Placement)
- Scaling and Connecting Networks
- Network Security
- Virtualisation Technologies
- Server Administration
- Mathematics for Computing
Semester 2 & Summer
- Work-Based Learning and Project (Work Placement)
“I chose this course because it gives you both the knowledge to work in IT and also a work placement where you can enhance your skills. Going into the work placement was a bit daunting but everyone was really nice and helpful and I settled in straight away. It has given me the hands on experience needed to go into a career in IT. I know IT is seen as a male dominated industry but if you are passionate and dedicated you will succeed.” – Jane Johnson, Year 2
What our industry partners say...
“The programme has enabled eir Business to build the right skills, competencies and loyalty in a low risk way to ensure we develop a talented candidate who will strive within eir.” – Adam Williams, Head of Service Design & Assurance, eir Business, eir
“At Citrix we have engaged with several different apprenticeship programmes in the past and we definitely feel that the Learn+Work Course has had the most success in producing Work ready candidates for the Tech sector.” – Kevin Macken, Lead Manager, Technical Support, Citrix Systems Ireland
- On successful completion, you’re eligible for Year 3 of TU765 Bachelor of Science in Computing in Digital Forensics and Cyber Security.
- On successful completion, you’re eligible to enter TU766 Bachelor of Science in Cloud Networking Technologies.